Do you Snore and feel like you never get enough sleep?
Are you tired during the day? Do you hate your CPAP machine?
Dr. Rhodes can help!
Sleep Apnea is a serious, potentially life threatening, condition in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. Having Sleep Apnea can lead to Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes or Depression. Being tired during the day can affect your job performance or falling asleep at the wheel.
The main types of sleep apnea are:
- Obstructive sleep apnea, the more common form that occurs when throat muscles relax
- Central sleep apnea, which occurs when your brain doesn’t send proper signals to the muscles that control breathing
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome, also known as treatment-emergent central sleep apnea, which occurs when someone has both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea
If you think you have sleep apnea, you need to see your physician for testing. The first and most common treatment for sleep apnea is CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) therapy. Unfortunately, there are many people who have issues with the CPAP machine and don’t wear it. Dr. Rhodes can help! The most viable option is a MAD (Mandibular Advancement Device) which is a dental appliance which holds the lower jaw forward and opens the airway.
The signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas overlap, sometimes making it difficult to determine which type you have. The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:
- Loud snoring
- Episodes in which you stop breathing during sleep — which would be reported by another person
- Gasping for air during sleep
- Awakening with a dry mouth
- Morning headache
- Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
- Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
- Difficulty paying attention while awake